Sunday 18 March 2012

Happy Mothering Sunday

Happy Mothering Sunday



Did you know that Mothering Sunday was a Pagan holiday that got converted by the Christian church??? No, me neither .....

In the Roman religion the Hilaria festival was held in honour of the mother goddess Cybele and it took place during mid-March. As the Roman Empire and Europe converted to Christianity, this celebration became part of the liturgical calendar as Laetare Sunday, the fourth Sunday in Lent to honour the Virgin Mary and the "mother church".[2]

Source:  Wikipedia

When I was younger this was a great day, I got to spend time with my Mum and at some point we would visit my Grandmothers.   Now, I am older it's not such a great day.... my 'time' is split between my Mum, my Mother-In-Law and wanting to spend time at home doing 'my thang'........

Although I think I am going to go 'back to my roots' and spend the day honouring the universal Mother and spending time in quiet contemplation and meditation ......... I wouldn't say no to some chocolates and flowers tho!

However you spend the day and whoever you spend the day with - I hope you have a wonderful day!

love and blessings

bunni x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment