Thursday 12 January 2012

Words are a very powerful tool........

Words are a very powerful tool, 
Make one man a king, another a fool, 


Those two lines were from a poem I wrote a few years ago, for the life of me I can't remember the rest of it - but those two lines have stayed with me.  


Today, they have come back to me again and I am convinced it's the age we live in - there is good and bad in everything and whilst I love the internet with it's endless research potential and I quite like instant messaging and I totally adore journals and blogging ......... it comes with a price... and the price is we lose the contact of speaking to another person - we are one stepped removed from our 'audience' - so, when I type is it beholden on me the writer or you the reader to work out my meaning??? 


What we read in a blog or journal is as much open to interpretation as the research we do - I may read an article and be profoundly moved by it, you may read the same article and be mortally offended as they misused a comma or swore in the article......... you see it's all in the perception and I guess it also goes with our moral code - personally, I don't like to see or hear profanity - but sometimes it works ..... being honest it's the every other word beginning with F that puts me off - but that's a rant for another day!!! :) 


Personally, I think that as it's my words I do hold a certain amount of responsibility to ensure that the meaning I am trying to impart is not mis-construed by the audience it's aimed at ..... but that being said - if I do offend anyone I can only resolve the issue if you tell me .......... 



1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this with nearly every blog posting 'if I word it this way will it seen as offensive? Maybe I try it like this... but then someone else will see it the wrong way'... So I totally understand where you are coming from. And I urge my readers to do the same thing!

    Thank you for linking up to PPBH!

    Blessings,
    Kourtney

    ReplyDelete