Friday 20 January 2012

B is for......... Bewitched

My first two blogs for the Pagan Blog project were research based, so today I wanted to do something a little more personal. 


Recently I was asked what drew me to Witchcraft and after some thought I have to say Bewitched, I wanted to BE Samantha - not because she was blonde, slim, blue-eyed or had a spotless house - but because she was so able. 






Ok, so the lack of warts, hooked nose and green skin did help!!!   She was confident, beautiful, powerful, smart and above all calm - it didn't seem to matter how chaotic her life became she had the means - the right spell to say that would take all that worry away. 


That's what I wanted I wanted that inner calm and serenity, I wanted to 'know' what she knew .... I've always been drawn to the Arthurian  legends but I never wanted to be Arthur or Guinevere when I was a child I wanted to be Merlin, I wanted to be the one that people came to for answers. 


All the latter day witches are portrayed as calm under pressure, beautiful and talented - able to make a potion at the drop of hat and recite a rhyme on the spot - and for that they need to be connected to their inner calm - to be grounded and fully in the moment (sound familiar???) 


Also, for me,  it wasn't always about the spell - Samantha came from a more moral time, I guess you'd call it an 'age of innocence' (we weren't bombarded every day with images of the depravity that goes on in our culture - man's inhumanity to man and the other creatures he shares this earth with...that definitely is a rant for another blog!!!! ) and she'd often stop to think about the consequences of what would happen if she said the spell.... and I like that aspect!!


They may be just characters on the TV, figments of some writers imagination, but as role models go - I'd rather have Samantha, Sabrina, Prue, Piper, Phoebe and Paige than any 'rap' star that glorifies gun violence and drugs.......


love 


bunni x x x

8 comments:

  1. I love your post Bunni xxx

    I love Samantha also and totally agree with what you say about role models. Although with my age, I was more drawn to the power of Witchcraft for the Good of all through those gorgeous Charmed Sisters.

    Brightest Blessings
    Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bewitched as well. And yes she's a better role model than most. If Samantha could blink herself here I'm sure we'd be great friends. And her auntie could come along too as long as she promised not to steal my door knobs. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about it, but my favorite show when I was little was "Bewitched" with "I Dream of Genie" a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely agree with you on the preferred role models!

    Blessings,
    Kourtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to be Tabitha :)
    I still wish I could wiggle my nose to clean my house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this takes me back to some treasured memories! I used to watch this with my daughter Elizabeth before she started school. She loved the fact that she could spot her name in the opening credits. lol. Happy days!

    It's really comforting to see witches portrayed as positive figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this Lesley :)

    I quote: "and she'd often stop to think about the consequences of what would happen if she said the spell.... and I like that aspect!!"
    Me too! Samantha is my favorite "famous" witch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley, I enjoyed that walk down memory lane and I so agree with your comparison of Samantha and the Hollywell sister being far better role models than the violence perpetuated by so much of the rap music.

    ReplyDelete